LOCATION: Anywhere in Australia
YOUR COMMITMENT: 2-4 hours per week (flexibly distributed around existing life, work, etc. commitments).
REPORTS TO: Digital Director
This is a volunteer role. Reimbursements available for associated expenses.
Democracy in Colour is Australia’s first national racial justice advocacy organisation led by people of colour. We’re looking for a dynamic, multi-talented Digital Director to help lead the organisation and revitalise racial justice campaigning in Australia.
This is an unparalleled opportunity to grow an innovative non-profit from its launch, shaping its day-to-day operations and overall strategic direction as a major new presence in Australian progressive politics.
Digital campaigning and execution
- Execute our online strategy:
- Responsible for creating innovative solutions to web design issues
- Responsible for creating action tools that are easy to use and can be quickly set up for rapid response
- Assist with the digital fundraising strategy – including small dollar online fundraising and peer-to-peer fundraising
- Track performance analytics to test and optimise our content
- Contribute technology development and deployment including our website, CMS, CRM and email platform
- Ensure the safety and privacy of our data through effective security systems and processes
- Reporting, Tracking and Program Evaluation: Defining growth goals and executing measurable plan for expanding the digital assets of DiC.
Technical skills, experience and knowledge
- Competent with HTML, CSS and jQuery
- Implement responsible web design principles to ensure that our company website renders well across multiple devices
- Monitor website performance, watch for traffic drops related to site usability problems and rectify the issues
- Plan future website upgrades with the Digital Team
- Assist in the development of applications and features that will be put on the website and in internal functions as well
- Deep passion for racial justice and a world where the inherent worth and dignity of everyone is recognised
- Cares deeply about winning
- Intentionally develops leadership in others
- Identifies root causes, and goes beyond treating symptoms
- Deals well with uncertainty and complexity
- Relentless and self-starting – can-do positive attitude with a resilient, solutions focussed approach and an open mind
- Growth mindset – takes ownership over personal development by self-improving through experience, observation, introspection, self-directed reading, and discussion
- High emotional intelligence and self-awareness – aware of your strengths and weaknesses and your impact on others
- Humble and low ego – puts the impact of the movement first in everything you do
- Commitment to diversity, equity and anti-oppression
This Is A Defining Opportunity For The Right Person
This is a chance to grow a national organisation with the potential to have outsized impact for many years to come:
- We fill core gaps in the racial justice space – more anti-racism campaigning, more people of colour led advocacy, and more work that explicitly and unapologetically seeks to build the political power of people of colour.
- We’re systems thinkers. We’re gunning for paradigm-shifting structural change, and we don’t have time to tinker around the edges.
- Which is why we pick bold, ambitious fights. Because we know this is not a time for the audacity challenged.
- We don’t just win campaigns – we strengthen communities, shift the relations of power, and change the politics of what’s possible.
- We understand social change is an ecosystem. Democracy in Colour plays a key role, but it’s only one role and we can’t win this fight alone. We take our accountability to the broader movement seriously, and always seek to ensure affected communities are at the forefront.
- We’re innovative. We’re not afraid to fail, and we’re up for trying something new. Lots of somethings new.
- We’re fiercely independent. We don’t take government or corporate funds so we’re answerable to our members and mission only.
- We have an incredible team of dozens of people of colour – campaigners, creatives, storytellers, organisers, strategists and technologists with decades of experience creating change between us.
Moreover, as a Web Developer you will:
- Leverage power, shift narratives and organise communities to build a society where we honour the dignity and humanity of all people, where justice is real.
- Build a best-in-class digital and grassroots organising platform that empowers people of colour to win the big fights that matter to them.
- Break ground in building the next-big-thing in online and grassroots organising.
- Reshape the way advocacy campaigns engage communities of colour – less victim narratives and saviour complexes, and more agency and leadership from affected communities.
- Learn lots, and quickly. Not only are we a start-up, we’re pioneering new models of campaigning in a space mostly comprised of education and service delivery work. There isn’t a rule book that will tell us what to do next. We’ll screw up often, we’ll learn, and we’ll have massive impact.
Please note this is a volunteer role.
To apply, please send why you want to volunteer and your relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org