We’re looking for two people of colour to become racial justice leaders in Queensland. This is an unparalleled opportunity to grow an innovative non-profit in its early stages, shaping its day-to-day operations and overall strategic direction as a major new presence in Australian progressive politics.
This is your chance to be part of a movement for racial justice that is led by and for people of colour.
As the Queensland State Coordinator, you’ll be the central leadership point for Democracy in Colour in Queensland – designing and implementing campaign plans, developing engagement strategies and building relationships that strengthen the political power of communities of colour in Queensland.
You will work to inspire, motivate and organise an emerging and growing movement. You will manage the Queensland team, you’ll work collaboratively with State Coordinators and the National team. Your role will be crucial in developing and running Democracy in Colour’s national campaign, and you will be part of the community fundraising strategy.
Technical skills, experience and knowledge
- Strong written and communication skills
- Experience in inspiring and motivating others to take action and take on leadership
- Strong public speaking and facilitation skills
- Experience in working with a diverse range of people
- Recruiting volunteers
- Identifying potential leaders
- Managing volunteer teams
- Developing campaign strategy
- Commitment to teamwork
- Comfortable working independently and within a national team structure
- Strong organisational and leadership skills
- Partnership and coalition building
- Understanding of racial justice theory and/or the Australian political landscape
- Experience with creative, effective grassroots and/or digital campaigning
Attitude and behaviour
- Passion for racial justice
- Care deeply about winning
- Develops leadership in others
- Identifies root causes, and goes beyond treating symptoms
- Open to new ideas and new ways of thinking
- Self-starting: you have a can-do positive attitude with a resilient, solutions focussed approach
- Growth mindset – takes ownership over personal development by self-improving through experience, observation, introspection, self-directed reading, and discussion
- Humble and low ego – puts the impact of the movement first in everything you do
- Commitment to diversity, equity and anti-oppression
We will invest in you
Democracy in Colour State Coordinators:
- Are trained in Organising and Campaigning by social movement leaders through our ongoing training and development program
- Receive mentoring by leading campaigners of colour: matched to your skills and needs
- Become effective social change leaders
WIth training, you will:
- Leverage power, shift narratives and organise communities to build a society where we honour the dignity and humanity of all people, where justice is real.
- Build a best-in-class digital and grassroots organising platform that empowers people of colour to win the big fights that matter to them.
- Break ground in building the next-big-thing in online and grassroots organising.
- Reshape the way advocacy campaigns engage communities of colour – less victim narratives and saviour complexes, and more agency and leadership from affected communities.
- Learn lots, and quickly. Not only are we a start-up, we’re pioneering new models of campaigning in a space mostly comprised of education and service delivery work. There isn’t a rule book that will tell us what to do next. We’ll screw up often, we’ll learn, and we’ll have massive impact.
How to apply
- Send us a little about yourself and why you want to apply (maximum 1 page)
- In a document, address any of the skills, experience, knowledge and behaviour that apply to you (maximum 2 pages)
- How much time you are able to dedicate to the role
Send to email@example.com
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until they are filled.
We know that sometimes the best people for the role may not fit the exact selection criteria, or be able to commit exactly the hours specified. If you’re a motivated fast learner, we encourage you to apply.